David Straz Hall 303AMilwaukee WI United States of America (414) 288-1453 firstname.lastname@example.org Curriculum Vitae ePublications
Chair, Department of Accounting
Dr. Michael D. Akers, CPA, CIA, CMA, CFE, CBM is the Charles T. Horngren Professor of Accounting and Chair, Department of Accounting. In addition to serving on the editorial advisory board of two journals, he has authored more than 50 articles in academic and professional journals. Dr. Akers’ accomplishments include a teaching award from the Marquette University College of Business as well as local and national recognition for his work with Beta Alpha Psi. He currently serves on the audit committee and board of directors of two publicly traded companies. He has also served on the boards of professional business organizations in Milwaukee including the Institute of Management Accountants and the Institute of Internal Auditors. Prior to his academic career, Dr. Akers worked for Arthur Andersen.
- Ph.D., Accounting, University of Mississippi, 1988
- MBA, University of Louisville, 1979
- B.S., Business Administration, Accounting, Charleston Southern University, 1977
Audit education, earnings management, financial literacy and reporting, going-concern issues, values of accounting students and professionals, whistle blowing.
“Goodwill and Goodwill Write-downs: Their Effects on Earnings Quality for 2008 and 2009.” Journal of Business and Economics Research, Volume 7, Number 11(November 2009), pp. 9-18. [with Don Giacomino].
“Testing the Financial Literacy and Expertise of Audit Committee Members,” The CPA Journal, (August 2009), pp. 66-71. [with Don Giacomino and Joseph Wall].
“Revisiting Financial (Accounting) Literacy: A Comparison of Audit Committee Members and Business Students,” American Journal of Business Education, Volume 2, Number 3(May/June 2009), pp. 31-38. [with Joseph Wall and Don Giacomino].
“Applying Sarbanes-Oxley Principles to Universities and Colleges,” The CPA Journal. (April 2009), pp. 62-67. With Sean Goins, Assurance Associate-Grant Thornton, LLP and Don Giacomino.
Awards, Honors, & Certifications
- The CPA Journal-Max Block award for distinguished article in the category-Policy Analysis, 2008
- College of Business Administration Faculty Teaching Award, 1999
- Beta Alpha Psi Outstanding Faculty Advisor for 1994-95
- Marquette University, Outstanding Student Organization Advisor for 1992-93
- Certified Management Accountant
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Business Manager