312 Straz Hall
Milwaukee, WI 53201
Associate Professor of Finance
Dr. Arena’s research in corporate finance is widely published in leading finance journals such as the Review of Financial Studies and the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, among others, and his work has been featured in national media outlets, including the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post and NPR Marketplace. Currently, Dr. Arena is examining issues in corporate debt, international corporate finance, corporate governance, and litigation risk.
Dr. Arena, who joined Marquette University in 2006, earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in chemistry from the University of Torino in Italy, his MBA from Iowa State University, and his Ph.D. in finance from the University of Missouri. Previously, Dr. Arena worked for Procter & Gamble and as an environmental consultant, and during his MBA studies he worked at Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University, to develop a method to analyze drinking water on the International Space Station, which is still used by NASA astronauts.
- Ph.D., Finance, University of Missouri – Columbia
- M.B.A., Iowa State university
- M.S. / B.S. in Chemistry, University of Torino, Italy
- Corporate debt
- Corporate governance
- International corporate finance
- Corporate cash holdings
Territorial Tax System Reform and Corporate Financial Policies
with George Kutner
Review of Financial Studies, Vol. 28, 2015, pp. 2250-2280.
The Effects of Securities Class Action Litigation on Corporate Liquidity and Investment Policy
with Brandon Julio
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 50, 2015, pp. 251-275.
Firm Location and Corporate Debt
with Michaël Dewally
Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol.36, 2012, pp. 1079-1092.
The Effect of Taxes on Multinational Debt Location
with Andrew H. Roper
Journal of Corporate Finance, Vol. 16, 2010, pp. 637-654.
Awards, Honors, & Certifications
- The Financial Review, Outstanding Paper Award, 2011. “It Takes Two: The Incidence and Effectiveness of co-CEOs” was selected as the best paper published by the Financial Review in 2011.
- CEO Daily Best Recent Article on Leadership and Management (It Takes Two: The Incidence and Effectiveness of co-CEOs), February 2011