383 David Straz HallMilwaukee WI United States of America (414) 288-6866 firstname.lastname@example.org Curriculum Vitae
Assistant Professor of Management
Dr. Bastl joined Department of Management in August 2013. Prior joining Marquette University he worked as a Senior Research Fellow in Supply Chain Research Centre and Cranfield School of Management in United Kingdom. Dr. Bastl has well over 10 years of executive and academic experience. Prior joining academia he held various executive positions, last being Head of corporate financial and operational controlling in paper manufacturing business.
Dr. Bastl’s research and teaching interests are addressing some of the most topical and critical questions in supply chain management practice and theory. These include for example how to effectively manage multi-tier inter-firm relationships, how to effectively exit from buyer-supplier relationships and how to achieve supply chain transparency, to name a few.
Dr. Bastl’s research was published in Journal of Supply Chain Management, International Journal of Operations & Production Management and International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management among others. He acts as a reviewer for Journal of Operations Management and Journal of Supply Chain Management and he is a regular speaker on international conferences.
- Ph.D. Cranfield School of Management, United Kingdom, 2012
- MSc, The University of Warwick, United Kingdom, 2005
- BSc, Faculty of Economics, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 1999
- Relational dynamic in multi-tier supply network relationships
- Relationship dissolution strategies
- Information sharing and transparency in supply chains
- Quantitative and qualitative data visualization
Bernon, M., Upperton, J., Bastl, M., Cullen, J. (2013) “An exploration of supply chain integration in the retail product returns process”, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, Vol. 43 No. 7, pp. 586 - 608
Bastl, M., Johnson, M., Choi, T.Y. (2013) “Who’s Seeking Whom? Coalition Behaviour of a Weaker Player in Buyer-Supplier Relationships”, Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 8-28.
Bastl, M., Johnson, M., Lightfoot, M., Evans, S. (2012) “Buyer-Supplier Relationships in a Servitized Environment: an Examination with Cannon and Perreault’s Framework”, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 650-675.
Awards & Honors
- Journal of Supply Chain Management, Harold E. Fearon Best Paper Award, 2013 finalist: Bastl, M., Johnson, M., Choi T.Y. “Who’s Seeking Whom? Coalition Behavior of a Weaker Player in Buyer-Supplier Relationships”, Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 8-28.
- Best paper award, 18th, Logistics Research Network Conference 2013, Birmingham, United Kingdom: Vorst, J.G.A.J., van der, Bloemhof, J., Bastl, M., Allaoui, H., (2013) "Sustainability Assessment in Food Supply Chain Logistics"
- Highly Commended Award Winners 2011; Emerald Publishing’s Awards for Excellence in the category of Outstanding Papers
- Bastl, M., Grubic, T., Templar, S., Harrison, A., Fan, I.S. (2010), “Inter-organisational costing approaches – the inhibiting factors”, International Journal of Logistics Management, Vol. 21, No.1, pp. 65-88.
- Martinez, V., Bastl, M., Kingston, J., Evans, S. (2010), “Challenges in Transforming Manufacturing Organisations into Product-Service Providers”, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 449-469.
- Emerging Scholar Award 2010: Dr. Bastl was selected as one of eight emerging scholars in the world in the field of Operations Management, by the American Production and Operations Management Society, Vancouver 2010, Canada.