385 Straz HallMilwaukee WI United States of America (414) 288-0670 email@example.com Curriculum Vitae
Associate Professor of Supply Chain Management
"Dr. Mark Barratt joined the Department of Management as associate professor in supply chain management in January 2013. He earned his undergraduate degree in operations management from the University of Greenwich, United Kingdom, and a doctorate in supply chain management from Cranfield University, United Kingdom. He started his second career as an academic in 1994 as a lecturer in business strategy at the University of Greenwich. He was a senior lecturer in business strategy from 1996-1998. He then worked as a lecturer in supply chain management at the Cranfield School of Management from 1998-2002. Before joining Marquette University, he was an assistant professor in supply chain management at the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University where he taught logistics, global supply chain management and supply chain strategy.
Dr. Barratt’s research and teaching interests are addressing some of the most topical and critical questions in supply chain management practice and theory. These include for example how to effectively manage on-shelf availability, how to effectively achieve supply chain visibility, how to effectively achieve supply chain collaboration to name a few.
Dr. Barratt’s research has been published in the Journal of Operations Management, Production and Operations Management Society, Supply Chain Management, the International Journal of Logistics Management, the European Journal of Purchasing and Supply, Supply Chain Management Review, The Cutter IT Journal, and the International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management. He is on the Editorial Review Boards of the Journal of Operations Management, the Journal of Business Logistics and Journal of Supply Chain Management, he is also a regular speaker at national and international conferences.”
- Ph.D., Cranfield University (U.K.), 2002
- B.A. (honors), University of Greenwich (U.K.), 1994
- Case-based research
- Collaborative buyer-supplier relationships
- Supply chain visibility
- Retail operations
- Inventory record inaccuracy
Presently, Dr. Barratt is a principle investigator on a major project examining the occurrence of inventory record accuracy in distribution centers.
- Barratt, M.A. and Barratt, R., (2011) “Exploring Internal and External Supply Chain Linkages: Evidence from the field”, Journal of Operations Management 29(5): 514-528.
- Barratt, M.A., Choi, T.Y. and Li, M.*, (2010) “Qualitative Case Studies in Operations Management: Trends and Future Research Implications (1992-2007)”, Journal of Operations Management 29(4): 329-342.
- Barratt, M.A. and Oke, A., (2007). “Antecedents of Supply Chain Visibility: A Resource-based Theory Perspective.” Journal of Operations Management 25(6): 1217-1233.
- Barratt, M.A. and Choi, T.Y., (2007). “Mandated RFID and Institutional Responses: Cases of Decentralized Business Units.” Production and Operations Management 16(5): 569-585.
Awards, Honors, & Certifications
- Highly Commended Award, Emerald Literati Network 2010 Awards for Excellence - (with B. Ashenbaum, A. Maltz, and L. Ellram) “Organizational alignment and supply chain modularity: introduction and construct validation.” International Journal of Logistics Management 20(2): 169-186.
- Runner-up Best paper Proceedings AOM Conference 2007 – (with T. Choi and M. Li) “State of Inductive Case Studies in Operations Management” Presented at the 2007 Meeting of the Academy of Management, Philadelphia.
- Board of Directors - The Case Center
- Member – INFORMS (2012)
- Member – Council for Supply Chain Management Professionals (2002-Present)
- Faculty – Arizona State University, W.P. Carey School of Business, Department of Supply Chain Management (2002-12)
- Faculty – Cranfield University, School of Management, Center for Logistics and Supply Chain Management (1998-2002)
- Faculty – University of Greenwich, School of Business, Department of Business Strategy (1994-1998)
- Assistant Volleyball Coach – ASU Preparatory Academy – Middle School and High School (2011-2012)
- Member – Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals
- Editorial Review Board – Supply Chain Management, an international journal (2005-Present)