381 David Straz HallMilwaukee WI United States of America (414) 288-7188 email@example.com Curriculum Vitae ePublications
Professor and Coleman Chair in Entrepreneurship
Academic Director - Kohler Center for Entrepreneurship
Alex Stewart joined Marquette University in 2000 after ten years on the faculty of Texas Tech University. He is a past Chair of the Entrepreneurship Division of the Academy of Management, Program Chair and Co-Convener of the Organization Science Winter Conference, and Program Chair of the Family Enterprise Research Conference (for which he serves on the board). He has taught in virtually all levels for many different student groups and enjoyed them all, and currently focuses on leading the Entrepreneurship major and launching a non-business minor for MU undergraduates. His emerging research will focus on the photo-ethnographic study of kinship and entrepreneurship.
- B.A., Social Anthropology, York University
- M.A., Social Anthropology, York University
- M.B.A., Entrepreneurship Concentration, York University
- Ph.D., Political Science with Social Anthropology minor, York University
Kinship and entrepreneurship; ethnographic method; application of anthropology to entrepreneurship and kinship-linked firms.
Stewart, A. 2003. Help one another, use one another: Toward an anthropology of family business. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 27, Summer: 383-396.
Stewart, A. 2008. Who could best complement a team of family business researchers, scholars down the hall or in another building? Family Business Review, 21: 279-293.
Stewart, A., & Hitt, M.A. 2010. The yin and yang of kinship in business: Complementary or contradictory forces. Forthcoming in Advances in Entrepreneurship, Firm Emergence and Growth, Vol. 12. Website
Awards, Honors, & Certifications
- Best Reviewer of the Year Award (for board members), Organizational Research Methods, 2005.
- Distinguished Service Award, Family Enterprise Research Conference, 2008 and 2009.