Study Abroad

Frequently Asked Questions

I want to study abroad, but I don't know what my options are. Where do I start?
Program specific information sessions are held every semester to help students decide what program they want to attend.

How can I meet with a Study Abroad Advisor?
Your first step should be to attend Information Sessions or come to the Office of International Business Studies to learn about your options. After that, if needed, you may schedule an appointment to meet with Dr. Jamshid Hosseini by calling 414-288-3433.

What courses can I take while on a study abroad program?
After being accepted to a study abroad program you will work with our office and carefully plan what courses you should take while abroad to maintain your progress toward degree completion requirements.

Do I have to speak a foreign language to study abroad?
No. More than half of the programs do not require a foreign language.

Will I graduate on time if I study abroad?
If you plan carefully, studying abroad will not necessarily delay your graduation. However, it is very important to begin thinking about your study abroad plans as soon as possible to avoid potential problems. Business students will work directly with the Office of International Business Studies where all of their academic needs will be addressed. All courses will be pre-approved by Dr. Jamshid Hosseini and your study plan through graduation will be developed before you go abroad.

When is the most appropriate time for me to go abroad?
The majority of business students go abroad during their 2nd semester sophomore, and 1st and 2nd semester junior year. A small portion of the students go abroad during their first semester of senior year. If you are studying in an English instructional program, the best semester is 2nd semester sophomore year. For program conducted in a foreign language, the best period is junior year. Your specific needs will be addressed when you visit our office.

Will I still receive my financial aid?
This depends on the type of agreement with the study abroad program.

  • For all of the Marquette University approved programs (Exchanges, affiliated, and sponsored), both Federal and institutional financial aid, grants and scholarships apply.
  • For non-Marquette programs, neither federal nor institutional aid is applicable.

If are interested in a program for which your financial aid does not apply in whole, it is important to keep in mind that some of these programs may have lower baseline prices, so losing your aid may not necessarily translate to paying a higher price to study abroad.

For more information visit the Financial Aid page.

How expensive will study abroad be compared to staying at Marquette?
Many of our programs are exchange programs, which means that you pay Marquette’s tuition to study abroad. Cost of living in many cities where we have partnerships are comparable to (but, sometimes, higher than) that of Milwaukee’s. Usually the primary additional expenses are airfare and personal travel.

What are my chances of being accepted into a program?
If you meet all eligibility requirements for the program you are more than likely to be accepted, however some programs do have space limitations.

Can students with disabilities apply for study abroad programs?
Yes. With plenty of advance planning, students with disabilities can find programs to fit their needs.

Will I need a passport?
Yes, everyone needs a passport to study abroad.

Do I need a student visa to study abroad?
Depending on the country’s regulations where you will study abroad, you may need to obtain a visa (usually a stamp in your passport) prior to your arrival in that country. Check the country’s embassy or consulate in the U.S. to determine whether or not you need a visa.

What if I am interested in a country in which Marquette does not have a program?
The Office of International Business Studies will assist you in using resources to find an appropriate program through another university. However, the sites listed below are a good starting point in providing useful information for students researching study abroad programs.

A service of Educational Directories Unlimited, Inc., is the Internet's leading source of information on educational opportunities for students to study in other countries. It is a comprehensive directory of study abroad programs, summer study abroad, Internship, service learning and volunteer abroad programs, intensive language programs all organized either study abroad by subject or study abroad by country or study abroad by city.

Launched in 1999, provides a one-stop information center for students wishing to travel internationally, linking them with organizations providing international opportunities.

Institute of International Education Passport

Managed by The Institute of International Education (IIE), this site offers data from IIE's renowned Academic Year Abroad and Short-term Study Abroad books. Student visitors can search for programs by country, language, subject and other criteria using a general or advanced search form.

Peterson's Study Abroad Program Locator

This handy site allows prospective students to easily locate the institutional sponsors of study abroad programs around the world.

Will I have to withdraw from Marquette to study abroad?
No. During the academic year, semester, or summer you are abroad, you will register for a zero-credit "placeholder" course, depending on your college and your study abroad program. This course keeps your enrollment at Marquette continuous so that you do not have to apply for re-admission. Additionally, it indicates to the Bursar whether or not you should be charged for Marquette tuition for that semester.

Will my credits automatically transfer back to Marquette?
Provided that you obtain prior approval from the Office of International Business Studies for each course taken abroad, your credits will be transferred upon receipt of transcripts from the sponsoring institution.

Will my grades from study abroad transfer and be figured into my overall GPA?
This depends on the program. Grades from Marquette-sponsored and faculty led programs will transfer and be figured into your GPA. For all other study abroad programs, the grades will be listed on your transcripts from the host institution, but only credits will transfer as long as you receive a grade equivalent to “C” or higher. These transfer credits will not be figured into your GPA.

When should I start applying to study abroad?
It is a good idea to start planning for study abroad during your first year on campus, when you may want to start researching programs.

Also, once you have decided to study abroad, you can start to save certain courses for your term abroad. Applications are usually submitted one semester prior to studying abroad.

How do I check my grades once I have returned to Marquette?
You can log onto Checkmarq and click on View My Credit Transfer Report. Your grades from your term abroad will appear under this section, and NOT under the term during which you were abroad. The exception is for students returning from Marquette-sponsored and faculty let programs, who should click on View My Final Grades for the appropriate term.