Center for Real Estate
Marquette University Real Estate Strategies Conference
On September 6, 2012, Marquette University's Center for Real Estate held the inaugural Real Estate Strategies conference.
Below are videos of Keynote speaker Thomas McDonald - former Chief Strategic Officer at Equity International, the "fireside chat" with Dr. Eppli, and the Celebration of 10 years or real estate education at Marquette.
As plans become finalized for the 2013 conference, information will be posted here.
The half day conference focused on, “Long Term Investing in a Short Term Market Environment.” Keynote speaker Thomas McDonald, former Chief Strategic Officer at Equity International, spoke about the importance of strategic long- and short-term thinking in commercial real estate, commercial property management, real estate investment, and how this has helped Equity International grow into a world-wide leader among investment management firms.
McDonald’s keynote was followed by two panels: the first, “Equity Investor Strategies,” featured panelists from small and large commercial property investment firms. They focused on their investment strategy given the current market environment and their expectations of where the market is headed.
The second panel, “The Changing Space Markets,” focused on the changing space demands for retail properties and commercial office space. Specifically, this panel addressed how commercial property owners and tenants are adapting to the changing real estate market needs and costly tenant improvement costs.
The day concluded with a special celebration honoring the 10 year anniversary of Dr. Mark Eppli’s arrival in Milwaukee and the establishment of the Real Estate Program at Marquette.
Click a panelist's name to view his or her bio
Panel 1: Equity Investor Strategies
- Danny Queenan, chief executive officer, Trammell Crow Company, Chicago - Moderator
- Bill Bennett, founder, Iconic Development, Chicago
- Scott Stewart, managing partner, Capitol Seniors Housing, Washington, D.C.
- Jim Clewlow, chief investment officer, CenterPoint Properties, Oak Brook, Ill.
- John Clifford, vice chairman, CBRE Capital Markets, Chicago
Panel 2: The Changing Space Markets
- Dr. Mark Eppli, Robert B. Bell, Sr., Chair in Real Estate, Marquette University, Milwaukee - Moderator
- Peter Borzak, co-founder / managing principal, Pine Tree Commercial Realty, LLC, Northbrook, Ill.
- George Meyer, CEO, Kahler Slater, Milwaukee, WI
- Hugh Robinson, executive vice president, Tri-Land Properties, Inc., Westchester, Ill.
- Lisa Konieczka, executive vice president, CBRE, Chicago