Kohler Center for Entrepreneurship
ImpactNext: Business Model Competition
Since 2001, Marquette’s Business Plan Competition has spawned hundreds of business plans, and many entrants have started successful enterprises. 2013 was the inaugural year of ImpactNext, an updated format designed to be beneficial to entrepreneurs in any stage of their business model planning.
ImpactNext is open to Marquette University undergraduate and graduate students, alumni, faculty/staff, and community members with ideas that will foster job growth in the inner city.
ImpactNext focuses on the development of business models and – more specifically – the customer discovery and validation of those models. No lengthy written business plan is required!
ImpactNext 2013 Outcome
Two dozen teams showcased their business models during a networking and poster session. Preliminary judging during that time determined one winner from each category:
- Undergraduate students: Cold Breeze – An affordable alternative to traditional air conditioning that utilizes a frozen gel
- Graduate students: Pre-Game Supply Company – An on-site tailgating food and supplies provider and delivery service
- Alumni: ThatSalsaLady – A social venture designed to help eliminate urban food deserts by providing a fresh, farm-to-table food delivery service
- Faculty/Staff: StartIT – A service that puts graduate students and recent graduates to work providing IT consulting services to independent physicians’ offices to facilitate the move to electronic medical records
- Community: Murket – An online service that provides students the ability to safely connect with each other in order to exchange goods on a college campus
The judges then determined the top five finalists (not necessarily category winners) who delivered one- to two-minute pitches to the judges and the audience. This year’s grand prize winner was ThatSalsaLady, led by alumna Angela Moragne; her team received $2,000.
Press coverage of Business Plan Competition winners
- BoothTag and other winners covered in BizTimes
- Biomedical Sciences professor earns national recognition for research
- To Reduce Waste, Smug Customers Use RFID Coffee Mugs
- Competition awards a Heartfelt venture (Marquette Magazine)
- Innoboo Living Solutions
Websites of past Business Plan Competition Winners
Motivate attendees to participate, circulate & engage by playing the game and connecting with exhibitors and each other!
Making employee scheduling as simple as possible
- The Ability Center
A fitness, athletic, recreation and wellness facility specifically designed for those with disabilities and inclusive of their friends, families, and the able-bodied public.
- Promentis Pharmaceuticals
Pharmaceutical company developing novel compounds for the treatment of schizophrenia and other central nervous system disorders