Welcome, and thank you for your interest in Introduction to Applied Investing, a free Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) taught by Dr. David Krause. This short, fully online course is self-paced, but it is designed to be completed in four weeks.
Please signup for our mailing list to be notified if the course is offered again, or a new free online course is released.
Course overview and objectives
This introductory course is intended for students who want to be more informed and savvier about investing. For many, the world of investments is complex and intimidating, with its own unique language. Through this course, you will learn the major financial concepts and terms, making the financial markets and wide array of investment offerings far less complicated.
Whether you want to work as a professional investment analyst or just become a savvier investor, Introduction to Applied Investing is designed to help you understand the basics of investing. We will cover the major investment vehicles, including common stock, bonds, real estate, alternative investments, as well as discuss the various methods of investing. You also will develop insights into the financial markets, and learn how to establish a long-term investment strategy.
By the end of this course, you will have built a solid foundation and be able to better grasp the concepts and issues behind applied investing:
- The historical risk-return relationship between different investments
- How and why various investment alternatives perform differently over time
- How financial markets function and why are they ever changing
- The best way to establish a solid, long-term investment portfolio
The course is composed of four modules:
- Investment basics
- Understanding the financial markets
- Establishing a sound long-term investment strategy
- Advanced topics, including fundamental analysis and hedge funds