Centennial Video & Historical Timeline
In 2010-2011 we celebrated 100 years of educating socially responsible global leaders. The Centennial Celebration engaged all our constituencies – current and prospective students, current and former faculty, staff, and administrators, university colleagues, alumni, business leaders, parents, and donors. With its 100-year history, the College of Business Administration and Graduate School of Management now has more than 20,000 alumni worldwide.
The College of Business Administration, founded in 1910, was among the first 40 schools to earn accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business – International (AACSB) in 1928. The MBA program was established in 1951 and the Executive MBA program was launched in 1996. The Graduate School of Management was established in July 2006 and is part of the College of Business Administration, reporting to the Dean of the College.
Although there’s no formal business school yet, the first evening business course at Marquette University is taught.
The College of Economics and Journalism, which housed the School of Business Administration, is founded with a $3,000 donation from Regent Harry S. Johnston.
William C. Webster, recruited from the University of Chicago, is named the inaugural dean of the college.
A business library is created with a donation of $2,000 from Elizabeth Marshall (daughter of Samuel Marshall, founder of M&I Bank).
Separating from Journalism, the Robert A. Johnston College of Economics is established.
The College of Economics’ name is changed to the name it bears today, the College of Business Administration.
The college is admitted as the 40th and only Catholic member of the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business, ranking it with the best in the nation.
The College of Business Administration moves from Johnston Hall to Science Hall where administrative offices, three faculty offices and six classrooms were at its disposal.
University expansion plans are announced, which include a new business administration building.
In January, ground is broken for the new College of Business Administration building. The $600,000 building is dedicated in October.
The assistant dean starts a cooperative business internship program with 26 business firms.
The first classes are held in the new business administration building in May.
The college dedicates its building to finance alumnus David A. Straz, Jr. The building bears his name today.
The executive master of business administration program in is formed.
Through a special endowment from the Kathleen and Frank Thometz Foundation, the college establishes its marquee speakers’ series, the Business Leaders Forum.
The Graduate School of Management is established.
The College of Business Administration celebrates its centennial.
Thank you to our Centennial Celebration sponsors
Frank P. Thometz, CFP
Senior Vice President
Michael D. Thometz, Bus Ad '00
Ryan Bittner, Bus Ad '93
J.F. Ahern Co.
Mary Bety and Scott W. Kilrea,
Bus Ad '82
The Kilrea Foundation
James M. Weiss, Arts '68
Weiss Capital Management, Inc.
Michael Ansay, Bus Ad '76
Chairman and CEO
Ansay & Associates
Daniel Brennan, Bus Ad '86
Windy City Thunderbolts
Patrick R. Bartling, Grad '87
Vice President - Global Operations
P&H Mining Equipment
Daniel P. Delaney, Arts '93
Senior Vice President and Portfolio Manager
Oak Ridge Investments, LLC
Mark W. Lopez, Bus Ad '76
President and CEO
John E. Peters, Bus Ad '69
Oak Ridge Investments, LLC
Joan Phillips, Bus Ad '89